Wednesday, December 16, 2009

"Today is the Last Ordinary Day"

The quote i cut out from a magazine and have taped on my bedroom door to see everytime i walk out.
To some people, ordinary can be a good thing. It can be the comfort they feel when things happen the way they're used to. It can be the the comfort of routine, of not expecting any surprises. But sometimes, when this ordinary routine goes out of sync, it's not comfortable at all.
I went to school yesterday with the knowledge that we were most likely to get out of school early for 'snow'. I say 'snow' because the weather dudes really like messing with our heads sometimes. Everyone at school really wanted snow. I had been also craving snow like no other, but today was the worst possible day. My sister and grandma would be flying it that night, and i was most paranoid for there safety. Sure enough, we got out early as it was snowing large fluffs of delicate snow. I'll admit it was absolutely gorgeous. A couple hours later i ended up at a friend's for a party. Before i left for the party, my mom told me to pack my toothbrush and stuff just incase...but i didn't think that'd be necessary, so i didn't. While i was there my dad called several times warning me that it was still snowing and Wendy (who drove me) would have to be really careful driving back. We left the party early to go hangout at another friend's house. We stayed there for a longtime, and it got to the point that i wouldn't be going home that night. I was stuck. I was stuck worrying about the safety of my family and stuck with the discomfort that i didn't have what i needed. I'm one of those people who always have extras of everything and makes sure to plan ahead to never forget stuff on trips. So this for me, was highly uncomfortable. We spent the night watching movies, baking, facebooking, youtubing and talking. Around one we decided to sleep. The fire was on so i got as close to it as possible to get warm...but it got turned off for safety reasons. So i was stuck on the floor with a thin blanket that had holes in it, and a thin pillow (i'm a puffy pillow person). I was okay considering the situation and understood that i couldn't get what i wanted and the situation could've also been much worse. I was still left with the unsurity of the safely of my family, we couldn't contact my sister and grandma and so i was also left with that concern. So i eventually fell asleep. I probably woke up every 10 minutes the whole night. I was extremely freezing and i can't sleep when i'm cold. I was still in my day clothes (the really tight uncomfortable jeans to sleep in) and makeup.
I know that i can't always get what i want in situations. I know that it can always be alot worse. i didn't keep my positivity much at the time, but now since i reflect i realize all the good. I was stuck in a safe home, with close friends, i had food and the important essentials.
My grandma and sister didn't come last night. But they will be here in an hour. From what i've heard they're not too happy about the being stuck at the airport thing. I understand. I'm still glad they're okay and that i'll still see them soon. Once they get here, and we're all together, bring on the snow.
I wish you guys a good, safe holiday break and with the knowledge that today, might be the last ordinary day. But don't get me wrong, that's not always a bad thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment